Renzo Gracie MMA Academy in Middletown was the host for Gene Mills Pin 2 Win Camp from Sunday through Tuesday. It isn’t every day that you get the opportunity to learn from a 2X NCAA champion and 1980 Olympian! Assisting Mills with the camp was Ron Jones. “Jonesie” is a 2X All American and the former wrestling coach at Rutgers; he is, without question, one of the people who is most responsible for Mills success as a competitor. Coach Jones currently serves as the wresting instructor at Renzo Gracie right here in Middletown!
Wrestling Community Pulls Together To Support Coach Fischbein
This past Saturday Hydra Strength Training in Monroe held a special event, Push Ups For A Cause, to raise funds to help the Fischbein family. Former MW head wrestling coach Steve Fischbein, who now serves as a program assistant, is battling a rare form of cancer. The specialized treatment is creating a financial burden on the family so, as it always does, the wrestling community is stepping up and helping out!
Thank you very much to Hydra Strength Training for hosting the event which was attended by over one hundred people. Below are a few pictures from the event. Special thanks to Lisa Elfstrum for providing many of the below pictures.
Congratulations to Minisink Valley wrestling coaches Kevin Gallagher and Scott Hendershot for being recognized by the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) as NYS Head Coach and Assistant Coach of the Year. Minisink Valley was the #1 ranked team in NYS this season. Gallagher was also selected as the Region 1 Head Wrestling Coach of the Year. The NWCA separates the entire country into 8 regions, Region 1 consists of NY, CT, RI, NH, VT, and ME. Congratulations Coach Gallagher and Coach Hendershot. Very well deserved recognition!
FS9 WRESTLING CLUB announces the “FEATURE NIGHT” of the week. Beginning 6/15 the club will designate one night each week as the “FEATURE NIGHT”. If you only plan on attending once a week, try to come on that night. The idea is to always have one night per week when everyone is there and you are guaranteed a good crowd. … and this way when you are at Feature Night you can make plans with the other wrestlers what other nights you may be attending that week. Feature Nights will rotate each week as follows: Mon 6/15, Tues 6/23, Wed 7/1, Thurs 7/9, Mon 7/13, Tues 7/21, Wed 7/29 etc. These nights will be highlighted on the club calendar on the wall. Please get the word out. New members always welcome. Club meets 6-7:30 Mon thru Thurs at 688 Rt 17 K Montgomery. Current roster is shown in the 6/3 post on the FS9 Wrestling Club Facebook page.
There are a few events happening this weekend and results will be posted as soon as possible….Good luck boys!!!
Evan Barczak (MW) @ Cadet Nationals in Akron, OH
– Evan went 2-2 at 63kg in this ultra-competitive tournament! NYS was very well represented at 58kg where Yianni Diakomihalis and Vito Arujau have advanced to the finals!
Anthony Stramiello (PB) competing with Paramus WC @ Lehigh Duals
– Anthony did a great job wrestling against some tough competition and finished the day 4-1!
McShea, Elfstrum, Vespa, and Earl (all MW) @ Freestyle States
– Congrats to Nick (195, Junior) and Marco (106, Cadet) for placing second and punching their ticket to the national championships in Fargo! Kendall (182, Junior) and Dylan (100, Cadet) both placed fourth and are alternates for team NY…hopefully they’ll both get to go! Great job all four guys!
Nijee Noble (Kingston) @ Freestyle/Greco States
– Way to get it done Nijee! He won Greco Cadet 160 and finished 3rd at Freestyle Cadet 160 and will be going to Fargo!!!
Aiden & Isaac Mathews (Marlboro) @ Freestyle/Greco States
– Aiden punched his ticket to Fargo by winning the 220 pound Junior title in Freestyle and Greco. He won every match by technical fall! Aiden is a resident of Marlboro and has attended Wyoming Seminary for the past few years. Younger brother Isaac, who wrestles for Highland, came in fourth in Cadet Greco 152 and is a Fargo alternate. Great job both guys!